Lord Pirrie's Harland and Wolff Album

Lord Pirrie's Harland and Wolff Album

Postby Parker Brown on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:42 pm

Hello all,

I was looking at some pictures of Lord Pirrie, and one of them was a very clear photo of him two years before his death. He's holding an album, the front cover of which is being opened by him. The description of the picture was that the album was presented to him by the employees of the shipyard. I'm sure this was probably a very special album, and I was wondering if anybody knew if it is still in existence? And if so it's whereabouts?

Here's a link to the picture.

Thanks,
-Parker
Parker Brown

Re: Lord Pirrie's Harland and Wolff Album

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Parker,

I remember the "album" very well, it is in fact an illuminated manuscript detailing the Pirrie history and his association with the shipyard. It is contained in an ornate carved wooden chest and for many years occupied pride of place in the company boardroom. Unfortunately I do not know what has become of it or its present location. Much of the company archive has been destroyed however I would be surprised and indeed horrified if such an artifact as this was not preserved. That said it does not appear on the document list of the company records held by the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland or that of the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. I can only hope it has been retained by what remains of Harland and Wolff.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Joshua Noble on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

It indeed looks like a family album. I wonder if that's the Pirrie coat of arms.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Postby Parker Brown on Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:35 pm

Thomas-

Thank you for your reply. It's good to hear that somebody knows well of it. Knowing your former status at Harland and Wolff, perhaps you could inquire about it's present whereabouts? I doubt they would have destroyed such a wonderful piece of history.

And by the way, about the photograph; is the ornately carved case right near the manuscript the same as the aforementioned wooden case?

Joshua-

Indeed, perhaps it is. Let's just hope that it still exists so we may find out!
Parker Brown

Postby Tom McCluskie on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Parker & Joshua,

You are both correct the illustration on the front page is indeed the Pirrie family crest and the ornate box just visable to the right and slightly forward of the book is the presentation box minus the lid which is probably just out of shot. The lid itself was a "lift off" type and not hinged to the casket itself which was lined with blue velvet cloth.

Regretably on each occasion I have enquired I have been unable to obtain a definitive answer as to the whereabouts of this artifact, the replies usually offered being "we think it's locked up somewhere" or "we think it's with Fred Olsen" or "we think it's in the boardroom"

I must point out that as a former employee the company has absolutely no obligation or reason to provide me with this or any information and would do so mearly as a courtesy.
Tom McCluskie

Postby gavindegraw1 on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:29 am

can you please tell us estimated price ?
gavindegraw1

Postby Tom McCluskie on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

I think it would be impossible to estimate a price for such an item without proper experience in valuing such things. I doubt very much it would ever come up for sale and in any case if it ever was to be disposed off it would in all probability be donated to a museum.
Tom McCluskie

Return to Company History