Italy's Andrea Doria

Italy's Andrea Doria

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm

I am now shifted to more reasonable subject. I am very interested in the Andrea Doria. I only saw a few of her interiors. I don't even have her blueprints. I know she is a very gorgeous Liner. Where was the Doria's three dining rooms, her extra taiff resturant, the Ballroom, & did she have a indoor swimming? I heard someone said that, but I don't think she did. But what place where all these gorgeous rooms were, & can I get a printout of the blueprints? Thank you.
Tyler J Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Re: Italy's Andrea Doria

Postby Robert Gibbons on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:09 pm

The THs had a reprint of the Andrea Doria's plans, along with a reprint of one of the Andrea Doria's passenger lists, in an issue of the Titanic Commutator about the Andrea Doria disaster. That link isn't working for me right now, but you might contact the THS or check www.titanic1.org for the list of Commutators for sale. Robert H. Gibbons
Robert Gibbons

Postby Robert Gibbons on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 am

You can view a detailed deck plan of the Andrea Doria at this website. Robert H. Gibbons

http://www.andreadoria.org/DeckPlans/DeckPlan.htm
Robert Gibbons

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:20 pm

I Love It! I hope to get on the right foot with everyone here. I went overboard on my previous subject. Thank you for reprinting the Blueprints. I want to know more of the Andrea Doria, I only have to books on her. Desperate Hours, & Deep Descent. Where can I find more books on her?
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Robert Gibbons on Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 pm

I would say go to www.ebay.com and search for "Andrea Doria" One book I had right after the disaster was "Collision Course" by Alvin Moscow. Here is a link to the August 6, 1956 Life magazine with coverage of the disaster and an excellent story in the style of "A Night to Remember" by Walter Lord, who wrote this story very quickly due to Life's deadline. Robert H. Gibbons

http://books.google.com/books?id=cEgEAA ... rd&f=false
Robert Gibbons

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Domo Arigato Gozaimasu, Robert-san. Man, so many book, so many stuff to learn, so little time. I will get Collision Course. You know, Ebay is not the only one. There's also Amazon, Boarders, & my favorite, Barnes & Noble. I can get this book anywhere. But again, thank you. I hope I find more answers to my questions.
Tyler J Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:13 pm

What is the next book to get? I only have Desparate Hours & Deep Descent. I just look in the Andrea Doria promenade Deck plan & found the First Class ballroom. What was the room decorated with? I'm sure it was gorgeous, But I would like to know. can you get back to me on it?
Tyler Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Dennis Faenza on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:42 pm

I would suggest PICTURE HISTORY OF THE ANDREA DORIA by William H. Miller Jr. There are some great photos of the ship's public rooms and passenger cabins. I hope this helps.
Dennis Faenza

Postby Robert Gibbons on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Here is a color photo (probably a postcard) of the Andrea Doria's First Class Ballroom. Robert H. Gibbons

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... 0QGNycjWAw
Robert Gibbons

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:04 pm

PICTURE HISTORY OF THE ANDREA DORIA. Thank you, Dennis. I think I'll get that book. Robert. Thank you for the photo ofn the Ballroom, it's gorgeous! That has got to be the most Gorgeous Ballroom I had ever seen. Thank you very much. I will look you guys up again when I have another question about the Andrea Doria. Ta-ta. Tyler Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey Guys, It's been awhile. Yesterday was the 55th anniversary of the sinking. To mark the Occasion, I am Desperate Hours, After that, Deep Descent. I am going to go ahead & put on hold other books on the Doria. If I got Questions, I'll let you. Chat with you later.
Tyler Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:43 pm

I just gone some deck plans & I look at the cabins. I only have two question at this time. 1: Why is the odd cabins numbers in port & even cabins numbers in starboard? 2: isn't the odd numbers suppose to be starboard, & even numbers in port?. If you would get back to me, I would be obilge.
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:40 pm

Koniichiwa Guys. I'm reading Moscow Alvin-san Collision Course, & I have some questions. One. Why did the Stockholm's crew misread the rader reading? Two. Why did the Stockholm's think the Andrea Doria was off the port side, when the latter was actually on the starboard? Three. I take the side of the Andrea Doria, because she was the one that sank, & if given the choice, Andrea Doria was prettier than Stockholm. So, Why did the Stockholm turn right into the Doria? And last Question, #4. What music was playing as the rescue was in progress? Collision Course is very interesting, but sometimes confusing :? . That's why I have all this Questions. Oh! One more thing. Why did Calamai made no effort to beach the ship? The Andrea Doria had 11 hours. I hope I did everything right. I would be obilge to have the answers. Please & Thank you.
Tyler J Frederick

PS. I believe that mysteries are meant to be slove.
Tyler J Frederick

Return to Maritime History