Critical Changes!

Re: Critical Changes!

Postby Aaron Quirey on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:17 am

ICE!!!
Aaron Quirey

Postby Tom McCluskie on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:26 am

and not a Gin & Tonic in sight :D

Speculation on the 20 minute delay is irrelevant in any case as the iceberg was invisable to the Titanic's radar :twisted:
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Aly Jones on Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm

What Radar?
Aly Jones

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 pm

The one on the crows nest next to the seagull's perches ;)
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Was that the one beside the wifi antenna?
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Aly Jones on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Fellars,it is called "state of the art radar of 1912" ;) May I add, that does not work that well,either!

Is it possible too get back too topic?

(inquiry) In normal condictions,the two routes north & south route was open for all thousands of ships,right? but,in Icy condictions,Just how can thousands of ships fit in one south route lane on the ocean,without giving way too other ships? :? (North route was out of bounce due to the risks of Icefeilds)

Was there any confussion in the past before 1912,with one route open( the south) with captains giving way to other ships? reports of any?

I bring this up cause,I am pretty positive that I heard rightly that there was a ship invovled with Smith's decission in taking an extra 20 mintues before deverting course!
Im just exploring & opening more doors.
Aly Jones

Postby Aaron Quirey on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:13 pm

The reason it went off topic was because you don't sound serious. You honestly believe there are magically thousands of ships crossing the Atlantic at the same time? You would be lucky to see 5. We keep telling you that large masses of ice were moving South and that Captain Smith was trying to sail below the reports of this ice and hopefully avoid it. I sketched a drawing showing this, and you actually thought the ice bergs were ships. Ships don't travel like railway trains that follow the same tracks. Ships can go in any direction they please. Oceans are just big open playgrounds for liners. If someone gets in your way (which is a million to one chance) then just blow your horn and wake them up.

Aaron Quirey

Postby Aly Jones on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Moderator's note -- this post deleted due to poor grammar, staying on topic and inability to cite source material. The user has been warned that such behavior is not allowed -- this is a message board for Titanic historians and for those who want to learn more about the ship. Stirring the pot and insults are also not allowed. -- TJT
Aly Jones

Postby Michael H Standart on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:27 pm

>>What was Smith's reason for waiting for 20 minutes before deverting course? Another ship?<<

From The Mersey Wreck Commission's final report:
The alteration of the course at 5.50 p.m. was so insignificant that it cannot be attributed to any intention to avoid ice. This deviation brought the vessel back to within about two miles of the customary route before 11.30 p.m.
Source: http://www.titanicinquiry.org/BOTInq/BO ... Action.php

Anybody here could have found this out simply by going to the report itself. The Inquirey transcripts and the final reports have been available online 1999.
Michael H Standart

Previous

Return to Collision and Sinking Theories