Rebuild the Titanic???

Re: Rebuild the Titanic???

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:02 pm

I am puzzled. What part of steel making in 1912 could not be duplicated today? Are there not expert wood carvers plying their trade in 2009? Rivets are still made and used -- indeed, McCarty and Foecke had a replica section of the Titanic's hull made and riveted together for testing purposes, with the rivets made to the same standard that those manufactured in 1909-1912 were made.

Sure, all of this would be very expensive. There is a very good reason that hulls are welded, not riveted -- the costs would be astronomical today. But it could be done.

So, two questions: Who has the money to finance this project? (Don't give me any pat answers such as "If we all just donated $100 we could do it.") Second, once built, who could afford a ticket? Nothing in life is free, and the backers of this sort of a project would expect a return on their investment (meaning a profit).

Of course, such a ship, loaded with wood, asbestos, coal burning boilers, exposed moving parts, etc., could never be certified in today's market. You would wind up with something that looks pretty, but would never be more than a static display.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Correct 100% Joshua,Olympic class liners were built to compete and beat the two cunard liners.

You are absolutely wrong here. Cunard was speed. The Olympic class was build for luxury.

once built, who could afford a ticket?

More to the point, who would want to sail on a ship that is a replica of one of the most infamous in history? Or who would want to pay buckets of many to sail in a cramped, under-ventilated ship with no modern amenities?

Sign me up. I'll get my credit card right now.
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Aly Jones on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:26 am

Jermeny,I think you mis understood me here.I was not talking about racing to New-York and back!
The two companies were competing with each other "For Customers/Passenagers".
The only difference was that the two companies went different ways in advertising there ships too attract new customers/passengers.
(As you stated in you're post)
Cunard line-Faster ships.
White star line- luxury & comfort.

PS Jermeny,Put me on you're credit card aswell ,I'd,love to travel on a Titanic II :D
Last edited by Aly Jones on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aly Jones

Postby Aly Jones on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:45 am

Timothy Trower wrote:I am puzzled. What part of steel making in 1912 could not be duplicated today? Are there not expert wood carvers plying their trade in 2009? Rivets are still made and used -- indeed, McCarty and Foecke had a replica section of the Titanic's hull made and riveted together for testing purposes, with the rivets made to the same standard that those manufactured in 1909-1912 were made.

Sure, all of this would be very expensive. There is a very good reason that hulls are welded, not riveted -- the costs would be astronomical today. But it could be done.

So, two questions: Who has the money to finance this project? (Don't give me any pat answers such as "If we all just donated $100 we could do it.") Second, once built, who could afford a ticket? Nothing in life is free, and the backers of this sort of a project would expect a return on their investment (meaning a profit).

Of course, such a ship, loaded with wood, asbestos, coal burning boilers, exposed moving parts, etc., could never be certified in today's market. You would wind up with something that looks pretty, but would never be more than a static display.

Sure,parts can be made exact,but the whole ship? Not likley! Well,if you say that revits can be made today,I believe you.........keep in mind that ,even if revits can be made up,how about the ship builders? Does modern ship builders been taught to revit ships? Also,does revits machines be built any more?
Also,who builds boilers these days? and where to you get the materials to build such a thing today?
I can see a multi-billion air having finance for this project,actually you need two to finance this project,as for us kind of people,we could afford third class tickets.

Nope, a replica can never be built.........A Titanic II that resembles Titanic can be done. I would pay to travel on a Titanic II.
Aly Jones

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 am

Jermeny

Aly, if you spell my name wrong one more time, I swear I'm going postal in this place. Your typos and sentence structure are bad enough. But you certainly know how to spell my name.
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Parks Stephenson on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:29 pm

I know of an effort underway now to rebuild Titanic. It should be ready by 2012.

The ship, of course, will be virtual. However, it will be the most authentic replica available, giving up no authenticity to SOLAS regulations or lost technologies. Best of all, everyone will have a chance to sail in her.

More to come later,
Parks
Parks Stephenson

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Virtual is best for this kind of thing. Interesting teaser, Parks.
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Aly Jones on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 pm

I have heard this before on another forum,not sure if both of you guys are pulling our legs.
The member is on the finace side of things with this project and declared that there is a project with a ship being built fimilar too the Titanic.(which you have done, above)
Don't know how true it is though,have to wait for more information.
Aly Jones

Postby Tom McCluskie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:45 am

I also have it on good authority H&W are rebuilding the ice berg ;)
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Aly Jones on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:35 am

That's old news Tom.....was plan 5 years ago ;)

How about ship restoration of an Olympic class liner? Olympic was not scrap, Olympic was complete in a ship yard,with complete equipment inside,in workable condiction (of cause she would be old and rusted a fair bit)
Is it possable to rebuild a exact replica Titanic ,inside and out?
Aly Jones

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 am

Olympic was not scrap, Olympic was complete in a ship yard,with complete equipment inside,in workable condiction

The Olympic WAS scrapped. There are photos.

Is it possable to rebuild a exact replica Titanic ,inside and out?

As has been answered on this thread 20+ times...yes. But it wouldn't be allowed to sail.
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Doug Criner on Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Diego Nieto wrote:So, the other day I was thinking: What if someone had the idea of building an exact replica of the Titanic and making the journey on the same date (2012 of course)?, what a better commemoration could be than completing the maiden voyage that was interrupted so many years ago!.

Then I thought that it would be perfectly economically possible, because, although it would need a huge amount of money to build it, there is a LOT of people (including you and me) that would do or pay anything to do that trip, just imagine!! And we are still on time so that it is ready for 2012.

This is how this thread started. Silly. If you don't agree, then put up the money.
Doug
Doug Criner

Postby Nick on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:49 am

I keep reading post after post of how if you could just modernize this or that- a floating, breathing Titanic replica could be created. The fact is an actual floating Titanic will NEVER happen for above and beyond reasons we understand…money. A 100th year anniversary sailing on a Titanic replica sounds grand but in the end it would have to be scrapped, because not enough people would go on it. I have heard other people write, “they could dock the ship and allow visitors to come on board to make money that way.” If that were to happen than there really was no point in putting all that money into building a working replica.

I’m personally supportive of building a replica, but as a museum/hotel (I’m sure I’m now labeled a monster for thinking of such an idea). Here’s why this is the ONLY option of ever seeing Titanic. Naturally, since it is not working you could substitute much of the appearance of the ship for wood, rubber, plastics, some metal- whatever would make it cheap but appear to look like the real thing (I’m not an engineer, so I don’t know what my options would be). All of the boat, A, and B decks would be recreated, as well as the grand staircase, which would extend to E deck. The Dining room and reception rooms would naturally be functioning rooms for both guests and visitors. Other rooms could be added at a later date when money becomes available.

The immobile recreation is not a shipwreck, just like Olympic was not a shipwreck. It’s impossible to dishonor anyone or the tragedy because this recreation never sank or killed anyone. If anything it’s honoring the shipbuilders who built her- as a part museum you could also honor the people who died on her. People are enamored with this ship and would do anything to see it again. For those that say your making an attraction out of a tragedy- what do you call sailing a floating replica of the ship- it will be in newspapers, the news, entertainment etc. ATTRACTION noun: a thing or place that draws visitors by providing something of interest or pleasure. I’m pretty sure we will all find interest and pleasure in a replica. The people who build that replica will make lots of money, because that’s just how the system works- but how else do you keep the ship in business- it is a business- just like a Titanic hotel/museum- just like every Titanic museum. Stop and think about it for a second. We HAVE to separate our romantic aspirations from reality. I know I sound cold and aloof but I promise you that I do grieve at the loss of her passengers; I’ve visited several of their graves with somber emotion. I just want to make clear that this is the only option otherwise we can only dream.
Nick

Postby Joshua Noble on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:32 pm

That's what I was thinking. Making it into a hotel like the Queen Mary. Except not as an attraction for 1997 movie fans, but as a representation of what life was like on board, something like a monument, memorial, and time machine all rolled into one. To be able to walk down the decks, and to experience the Titanic the way the passengers and crew would have experienced it in 1912. I also agree with you Nick on replacing the wood with different materials. Although some things could be wood here and there, a lot of the panels could be realistic looking plaster or plastic. The only things I can think that would be wooden would be the public rooms like the Grand Staircase, Lounge, and Smoking Room (as mentioned before, there are chemicals which when applied to the wood, would render the wood fireproof). All you need is a location, experts on the ship and designers, and someone with a lot of money. Good luck.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Postby Hannah Meyer on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:03 pm

A few weeks ago, I was logging off of MySpace when I noticed an ad pop up. It said "Titanic 100th Anniversary Curise-Get Your Tickets Before They're Gone!" That got me wondering if it was true. I clicked on it and it seemed real enough. Does anyone know if this is real or just a scam? I would like to know before I start saving my money to fly over to Southampton to board this in 2012. And that ad hasn't been limited to just MySpace. I've noticed it everywhere. I really can't tell if they'll do it or not. Please help!
Call me Miss Titanic
Hannah Meyer

Postby Naomi Anderson on Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm

I would do some research on this before going over for this event. I am planning to go over there myself since it will be after I graduate from the school I am attending. I am just going to go to go to all the places that are dedicated to the ship itself or to the crew and passengers. Just do research on it before spending your money on it; just to be sure it is not a scam.
Naomi Anderson

Postby nancykwan on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Has anyone read "Titanic 2012" by Bill Walker? It is an old FICTION published back in 1998 about a man who rebuild Titanic and sailed the ship on the hundredth anniversary of Titanic 1912 tragedy. Retracing the path taken 100 years ago.

All these posts about rebuilding Titanic just reminded me of this book. :lol:
nancykwan

Postby Timothy Trower on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:18 am

Hadn't heard about this book -- I'll have to look it up and give it a read. Thanks for the tip.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby nancykwan on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:22 am

Tim....I have to warn you. The book is written during the James Cameron's Titanic craze. Apparently, the author must have loved the film sooooo much, he mentioned the movie in almost every single chapter.

The book is just okay. I read it because I was curious (subject Titanic) and it was only 232 pages (which I finished in two days). Just a okay book. Remember...it is a FICTION.

Oh...Ed Kamuda and Titanic Historical Society is on the Acknowledgments page. It's funny ....THS played a small part in the story.
nancykwan

Postby Timothy Trower on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 am

Nancy,

The sheer amount of material published after the Cameron movie is staggering, and although I badly blew my book budget for a few years, this isn't one that I recall. If nothing else, because it is part of the Titanic canon, I'll have to look for a copy.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

PreviousNext

Return to Aftermath