Family myth or fact?

Family myth or fact?

Postby Beverley Whitby on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Wondering if anyone can help find out if a family story is myth or not?
A great great aunt called Gerti(may be gertrude) Edmunds had travelled from America to England with her aprox 1 year old daughter (HILDA) to visit her very sick mother. We believe that she was booked for her return voyage on TITANIC. She arrived in Southhampton day(s) before departure only to recieve a telegram with the news that her mother had taken a serious turn for the worse and she should return to Barrow in Furness.
We believe that she cancelled her ticket and reurned to America after the funeral on the HMS Devonshire or derbyshire?. I believe the family in America still have the ticket and passenger list for the boat she returned on but I would love to know if there was anyway of finding out if her name appears anywhere within the titanic passenger lists. I have heard this story many times over the years and family on both sides of the atlantic believe it to be true. Can anyone help?
Beverley Whitby

Re: Family myth or fact?

Postby George Behe on Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi, Beverly.

To the best of my knowledge, no records survive that list the identities of people who cancelled their passages on the Titanic.

All my best,

George
George Behe

Re: Family myth or fact?

Postby KathNewton on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi

I have searched all through Titanic passenger lists I can find and your Great Aunt is not written in and crossed out on any of them.

What I have found is a G Edmunds travelling with a small boy (sorry forgotten middle name) and an infant called Hilda M Edmunds on the ss.Baltic on 23 May 1912 Liverpool to New York,
KathNewton

Return to Passenger Research