The sinking of the Carpathia

The sinking of the Carpathia

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Tue May 03, 2011 3:38 pm

Of all the sinkings of Ocean Liners, why did the Carpathia have to sink, so close to war's end? From what I heard, Carpathia was over 500 miles from Ireland. So she was out of the war zone. Can anybody tell me why the Germans sink this fame Liner so far from Ireland? Thank you.
Tyler J Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Re: The sinking of the Carpathia

Postby Timothy Trower on Tue May 03, 2011 7:17 pm

Because to them, in a time of unrestricted warfare, she was an enemy ship, and therefore a prime target.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu May 05, 2011 3:05 pm

I know she was a enemy to Germany. But I thought the un restricted submarine warfare only went as far west as Ireland? What happen? Why did the Germans torpedoed Carpathia so far from Ireland as 500 miles?
Tyler J. Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Michael H Standart on Fri May 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Why did the Germans torpedoed Carpathia so far from Ireland as 500 miles?
Because one of their submarines happened to be close enough to get a good firing solution and take the shot. In war, that sort of thing just happens.
Michael H Standart

Postby Simon Mills on Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Tyler,

By virtue of the fact that Germany was operating an unrestricted submarine campaign, the waters around the UK extending as far south as Cape Finisterre (north west Spain) and four hundred miles west of Ireland (later extended again in November 1917) were declared to be dangerous for all traffic. At first this included hospital ships, but Germany later agreed not to attack these vessels provided that they were not east of the line between Land's End and Ushant, while in the North Sea they could not come south of the line from Flamborough Head to Terschelling. In other words, they were safe in the Atlantic but if they entered the English Channel then they would be regarded as legitimate targets.

Carpathia was not a hospital ship so she had no such protection. She was a British flagged vessel within a declared war zone, and as such she was regarded to all intents and purposes as a legitimate target.

S.M.
Simon Mills

Postby Jeremy Aufderheide on Mon May 09, 2011 12:55 pm

In other words "All's fair in love and war" and "them's the breaks".
Jeremy Aufderheide

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon May 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Domo arigato gozaimasu for the answer. I had no idea that the war zone was extended & practically cover half of the Atlantic. It's sad that Carpathia, & Ivernia sank, but then again, were two of the other sisters scrap right after the war? It that happen, then I glad Carpathia is preserve at the bottom. Thank you.
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Return to Carpathia