Olympic Pieces

Olympic Pieces

Postby Joshua Noble on Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:52 am

The Olympic was scrapped around 1935, after 2 overhauls and one war. The furnishings were taken out and sold. What didn't sell, was put in an old barn and forgotten until years later when they were rediscovered. The pieces were sold at auction, and used for buildings. Most of the Lounge, Smoking Room and Aft/Foreword Grand Staircase from 1st class are in the White Swan Hotel, where they can be seen today. The A La Carte Restaurant was made into the dining room of an English castle, and the rest are in private homes. There are pieces in several private collections here in America. I know that Ken Marschall has a light from the Reception Room, and other pieces. Some pieces can be found in places like ebay.
Last edited by Joshua Noble on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, Lights, Are you warm?
Joshua Noble

Re: Olympic Pieces

Postby Timothy Trower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:18 pm

The Olympic was pulled out of service in 1935 and sent for scrapping later that year. There was a days-long auction on board the liner at that time, and I am not aware of any lots not selling. True, items have been rediscovered after being in sold and put into storage, but this was not the fate of "What didn't sell".

Even the Aquitania didn't last until 1956! Are you confusing the Georgic II with the Olympic? She was sold for scrapping in early 1956.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Karen Kamuda on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:40 pm

The auction for fittings, etc. from Olympic by Wards lasted about a week.
The Titanic Commutator covered the subject a few times going back to the 1976 or so showing the various places in England that purchased large lots and used them in their buildings or home.
I visited the White Swan Hotel in 1983 and at that time, the staff wasn't even aware what a treasure they had. I introduced myself as a THS member and talked to the manager and staff about their hotel's history. Times sure have changed since then! The Titanic Commutator covered the story shortly afterwards with color photos, which hardly had been used up to that time.
The Titanic Heritage Tours beginning in 1993 visited Crown Paints/Azko Nobel that had a humongous amount of fittings from Olympic. We also stayed at the White Swan for a couple of days and had a banquet there.
Ken Marschall discovered Olympic's gorgeous former Smoking Room panels in a home in Southport (near Liverpool) and our Titanic Heritage Tour paid the couple's home a visit. Absolutely beautiful!
We were fortunate to see a lot of the material and fittings from Olympic on these visits and all of these places have been well documented in the Commutator.

Karen
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” ~~ P. J. O’Rourke
Karen Kamuda

Postby Timothy Trower on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:32 am

Joshua,

It is considered a breech of etiquette to edit your posts after they have been commented on. This makes future readers wonder about references to material cited in your original post, but changed after a reply to your . post has been made. Please keep this in mind in the future.

Thanks,

Tim Trower
THSMB moderator
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Scott Dalling on Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:44 pm

Are many pieces of Olympic that are being sold as genuine actually fake? I have a few tiles and a chunk of decking. I got them about six or seven years ago.
Scott Dalling

Postby JDCunningham on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:29 pm

Hello folks. Just wondering if anyone here has any information on the main Newel Post that is at the White Swan Hotel... I know there are photos of it online but I'm trying to find out what the dimensions of this are and was curious to know if anyone had ever took measurements of these fixtures/fittings?

The reason I ask is for some research for the main Cherub, if I can get the dimensions to the main newel post which is likely to be either the one Cherub sat on or very similar from the same place on the below decks (the bottom of the middle banister), then I think I can work out the dimensions of the Cherub?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
JDCunningham

Return to Retirement, Scrapping and Relics