The Life of Olympic

The Life of Olympic

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon May 16, 2011 4:55 pm

I just got a new Titanic Commutator. I just read it, & like to say I'm psych! I read a artical entitle Laurentic And The Panama Canal. At the end, I read that the Olympic was suppose to make a special cruise to the newly completed Panama Canal but World War I broke out. Now my question is that at any time during the 1920s & 1930s did Olympic ever make the Cruise the Canal. I would love a answer. Thank you.
Tyler Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Re: The Life of Olympic

Postby Harry Beal on Tue May 17, 2011 4:57 am

No.
Harry Beal

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Wed May 18, 2011 4:04 pm

What a shame. :| . Tyler
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Wed May 18, 2011 8:16 pm

Really, you must ask yourself to what aim the Olympic would have been sent on a cruise to the tropics. She was not built for any trade but that of the North Atlantic, and even there (especially in her earlier career) ventilation problems made warm weather less than enjoyable.

With no air conditioning, a black hull to soak up those tropical rays (think of what happened to the Normandie when she cruised to Rio, and the Queen Mary when she rounded the Horn heading for Long Beach) and decks that were not designed for service at or near the equator, this would have been a lousy idea.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon May 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Then, I would like to know the full history of Olympic, outside the story of her sister.
Tyler
Tyler J Frederick

Return to Post-War Service