Laurentic 1912

Laurentic 1912

Postby Wes Young on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:58 am

Does anybody know what was Laurentic's sailing schedule for April/May 1912?
Am I correct in thinking she was operating Liverpool, Montreal, Quebec and return?

Or was she on the North Atlantic run, substituting for another vessel?
Wes Young

Re: Laurentic 1912

Postby Timothy Trower on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:20 am

Wes,

So far as I have been able to determine, the Laurentic was, indeed, in the Canadian service at the time of the sinking. I have not, however, found a specific time table.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Wes Young on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:39 am

Hi Tim,

Same here, If you do some googling you will find an image of a menu dated April 22, 1912 but it doesn't appear to mention her destination. There's also an image of a postcard on-line with the Laurentic on the from and a post mark of about the same date, making reference to the loss of Titanic. I think the card states the author had arrived at Portland?, not sure if they mean Oregon USA or somewhere else.
If you can't find the images on-line I can post the links here.

Cheers Wes

PS Did you get the e-mail I sent you last week?
Wes Young

Postby Timothy Trower on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Wes,

I am sorry, but I don't recall getting an email from you. If you could resend it, I would appreciate it.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Wes Young on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Hi Tim,

Just sent you another e-mail to your THS account, if you don't get it can you reply via here, and we'll figure something out.

Cheers Wes
Wes Young

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:17 am

Wes,

I wanted to acknowledge getting your email; I have been horribly tied up with school work (in college a few odd decades after high school) but will reply as quickly as I can. Thank you for your patience.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Brian Hill on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Just accidentally came across your post and it just so happens I have a copy of the Laurentic's activities for 1912 from Lloyd's List. At the end of March she sailed from New York arriving Liverpool April 8. She sailed again on the 13th reaching Halifax on the 20th and Portland on the 22nd. She sailed from Portland on the 27th and was back in Liverpool on 6 May. She sailed again on the 11th arriving Montreal 19th. Sailed 25th and was back in Liverpool on 2nd June. Dates should be correct to within a day or so. Hope this helps. Cheers. Brian
Brian Hill

Postby Wes Young on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:53 pm

Cheers for that Brian,

Any chance of getting a scan of the document you have?

You can reach me at wesyou@gmail.com

Cheers Wes
Wes Young

Postby Brian Hill on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Hello Wes, will do in the near future. It is from the hand written ledger "Index to Lloyd's List" and unless you are familiar with it may not make much sense at first sight. Will try and explain it in more detail when I send it to you. Regards. Brian
Brian Hill

Postby Wes Young on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:18 am

Cheers for that Brian,

I don't suppose anyone on here has seen a passenger list for Laurentic for the same time-frame?
Wes Young

Postby Cathy Morley Foster on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 am

My grandmother, who was 11 at the time, and her family had booked passage in steerage on the Titanic, going from the Netherlands via England to America to start a new life. Due to overbooking of the Titanic, they were bumped to the Laurentic, which sailed a day later. This has long been a story that has moved me, for without that fateful change, my family and I likely would not be here to share it. She told of crossing the Atlantic after the Titanic sank, and she remembered seeing the ship's debris in the water. They landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and lived there until they could get clearance into the U.S., living first in Rochester, NY. Through a sponsor, the Van de Kamp family (of Van de Kamp's food fame, politics, etc.), they ultimately made their way to California. I looked for the ship's manifest for years, and finally found it last year, through the Library and Archives Canada. I carefully scrolled through 60 pages of microfilmed records til I found their family of six children and their parents, with names and ages neatly printed. I was overwhelmed. It was like meeting them for the first time as a young family, full of promise and hope. Here's that link: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/data ... tvlreag8f6
Cathy Morley Foster

Postby Cathy Morley Foster on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:30 am

I also have come across this article in the New York Times in my search for more news of my grandmother's family passage from the Netherlands via England to Halifax, Nova Scotia, aboard the Laurentic in April 1912.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 5B828DF1D3
Cathy Morley Foster

Postby Cathy Morley Foster on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 am

You also can find details of the Laurentic's passage on this link and others. Through another link (which appears to have moved elsewhere now), I found the details of my grandmother's family's travel on the Laurentic, after being bumped from the Titanic when it was overbooked. She always pronounced it "Lauren-tique," but that may have been her Dutch accent/memory (or, since it was sailing to/from Canada, perhaps it was more a French pronunciation. I've heard others pronounce it "Lauren-tik."
T-4743 LAURENTIC Liverpool, England 1912-04-13 Halifax, N.S. 1912-04-20

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/passengerLi ... owseType=1

You may know it had a colorful history later as a gold bullion ship, until it sank itself.
http://www.laurentic.com/ships_passenger_lists.aspx
Cathy Morley Foster

Postby Cathy Morley Foster on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:20 pm

Found an updated link, through the Canada Library and Archives, to the ship's manifest for my grandmother's journey, which ended in Halifax April 20, 1912. http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/i ... ber=12423&
Cathy Morley Foster

Return to Laurentic (1909)