Britannic Specs: How Big Was She?

Britannic Specs: How Big Was She?

Postby Joshua Milford on Fri May 27, 2011 12:17 pm

How big was she? That's all I want to know! I've researched this topic and have found contradicting results. It seems as though no one knows for sure. Was Britannic's width and length the same as Olympic and Titanic's? I know that her tonnage must have been more considering all improvements that were added. Has there been any more expeditions to the ship since 2006?

Parks Stevenson and Simon Mills? If you're out there, I could surely use your help on the one. :)

-Joshua Milford
-Joshua Milford
Titanic Historian

The White Star Line and the RMS Titanic
http://www.jmilfordrmstitanic.com
Joshua Milford

Re: Britannic Specs: How Big Was She?

Postby Simon Mills on Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Joshua,

According to the registration documents at the UK National Archives (Kew, near Richmond), Britannic was exactly the same length as Olympic and Titanic. This means that she was 852 feet and 6 inches between perpendiculars.

In terms of beam, Olympic and Titanic measured 92 feet and six inches, whereas Britannic was ninety four feet. This therefore made Britannic eighteen inches wider than the two earlier ships.

All the references to Britannic being over nine hundred feet long are just based on press speculation of the time.

SM.
Simon Mills

Postby Joshua Milford on Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm

Thank You Simon! I really appreciate it.
-Joshua Milford
Titanic Historian

The White Star Line and the RMS Titanic
http://www.jmilfordrmstitanic.com
Joshua Milford

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:51 pm

Simon the Britannic was longer than that. Every book that I read about Britannic was 903 feet long. Olympic & Titanic was 882 feet long. I'm sorry, but someone made a hugh typo.
Tyler Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Simon Mills on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:52 pm

Tyler,

Whatever book you are reading regarding Britannic's dimensions, if it claims that the ship was 903 feet long then I would strongly suggest that you ignore it. Olympic, Titanic and Britannic were all 852 feet and six inches between perpendiculars. This should not be disputed as the information is confirmed by the official registration documents of each vessel, which are held in the UK National Archives.

As such, this means that all three ships had an overall length of 882 feet, so I would strongly urge you to refer to these source documents for your information. The information in the book that you have read is quite wrong.

Regards,

SM.
Simon Mills

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 pm

There one book call Ocean Liners, Robert Ballard, John Maxtone-Graham both said 903 feet. Titanic & Britannic survivor Violet Jessop, & The Great Ocean Liners website all say Britannic was 903ft. See if you can top that. I am convince that she is 903 ft. I known that for 12 years. Thank you.
Tyler
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Simon Mills on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:13 pm

Tyler,

What more can I say other than that all of the sources that you have quoted are 100% wrong if they do indeed claim that Britannic was 903 feet long. The source documentation at Harland and Wolff and the UK National Archives, however, say otherwise. If you choose to ignore this information then I simply cannot help you.
Simon Mills

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:27 pm

Tyler,

Kindly note that you are talking to the actual owner of the ship. If Simon Mills says that the ship is 882' 9" long, then believe it regardless of what you have read elsewhere.

If you don't want to believe him, I've got a full set of blueprints that confirm this length.

Sheesh.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Tom McCluskie on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 am

Tyler,

Britannic WAS 882 feet 9 inches long.... when built by Harland and Wolff. It was NEVER lengthened during its short service life and it didn't expand in sea water either. :lol:

If you want to insist against all the evidence from experts that Britannic was 903 feet long then please carry on only please don't do it here as you will only succeed in making yourself appear foolish. :roll:
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Karen Kamuda on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 am

Right again, Tom. Amen to that. :ugeek:
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.” ~~ P. J. O’Rourke
Karen Kamuda

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm

All I can say is this, Imperator before she was Berengaria was 900 feet, without that tacky eagle. Aquitania was 901 feet. So, I can't see why Britannic wasn't 903 feet. John Maxtone-Graham said shipowners where intent in having the longest, if not the fastest ship in the world. Britannic had to be longer than Imperator & Aquitania. Well, I said enough. I will not prolong this arguement among other THS members. there is a Japanese proverb, "Iwanu ga hana", Some things are better left unsaid. With that, I must go. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Of the
Frederick Clan
:|
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:25 am

Tyler,

I admire the work of JMG -- he is an excellent writer, and when writing about a subject that he knows, is without peer. His recent work on the Normandie and the France/Norway is a great example of this, but even he makes an important distinction by noting that first-hand accounts of the life of the Normandie are hard to find, but he and his family have sailed on the France/Norway numerous times, and he is able to write from that experience. JMG may be aged, but in case you hadn't noticed, he is not old enough to have sailed on the Britannic. Nor does he own the ship, and neither has he worked for the very shipyard that created her.

The Olympic-class ships are not one of his strong points -- witness the error of the 903 feet figure for the Britannic. That old chestnut has been around for decades, and it is just as wrong now as it was the first time it appeared in print. It is not just JMG who has fallen for that error -- after all, it would seem to make sense. But facts argue against it -- indeed, the facts cannot be changed.

Point is, you are pissing off the very people who can help you learn. If it comes to them leaving the board, or you, then "goodbye."
Timothy Trower

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm sorry. I know well, That John Maxtone-Graham wasn't born til 1929. I wouldn't call him a old chestnut, I'm have at some respect, in case I haven't shown it recently. I just haven't been myself lately. I wish you can see me now. Ever since France Norway passed from this world, I was never the same. I kept a brave face to those who love me, but honestly, I been slipping. I hope I don't have to tell you what I'm slipping into. When Regal Empress was gone, I was very angry. And when Saga Rose went, she took what was left of my good side, &, I can't believe I'm going to tell you all, & I hope you can forgive me, but, I sold my very soul to the Ocean Liners. When I found out more about the Wilhelm Gustloff I decided not to forgive the Soviet Russians for what they did, I did not even care if the Nazi ship was the enemy. To me the Gustloff was a Ocean Liner. One more thing, I already made it clear regarding QE2's future that if anything happen to her, I would never be happy again, & that I wouldn't care for anything or anyone except ships. Because it is getting to the point that the ships will be the only thing that would give me peace & comfort. Call me selfish, unreasonable, anything you like, but it's my life. I'm not going to argue about Britannic's length anymore. The Japanese porverb says Iwanu ga hana, somethings are better unsaid. I don't to say anything more that I might regret. I only ask you read this before deleting it. I must go. Forgive me guys.
Tyler Joshua Frederick :|
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 pm

If you have this kind of anger built up over lifeless shells of steel and their fate, then I'd very strongly suggest that you take a couple of years sabbatical and explore some other interest. The THSMB is not the place to spew anger and hatred.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:32 pm

Forgive me. I think I'll keep my feelings to myself. This comes back to the Japanese proverb "Iwana gu hana", Some things are better left unsaid. I will not say anything that I know I'll regret. And I do have other interest. would you like a list of my other interest? Your message had a couple thing very clear. I am selfish & unreasonable. I am a cold, angry, & sometimes heartless person. I will comply to the agree to disagree thing, as long as I don't piss people off. That I won't do. Oh, You also in you nail the fact, I am at times a dark person, considering what I wrote to you yesterday. You may not have said those things, but I knew just by reading it, I knew what you meant. Well, that said, I'm off to watch my Japanese shows. Thank you for addressing me, I will do whatever I can to be better.
Sincerely,
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Matthew Smith on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:33 am

hello there,

i would like to know were can i get hold of the full size ship plans for Britannic from?scanned maybe?the paper prints will be large my costa Concordia ones are 3 meters long.

i have a lines plan and the book hostage to fortune...got hold of a shell plan for Olympic but that is a huge file?

as i am thinking about building a model i am currently building a model of costa Concordia scale 1/200..

looking for a side profile plan and all the deck from c deck and above?

would timothy or tom would be able to help?

i live in Sydney Australia..

many thanks :mrgreen:

regards matt
Matthew Smith

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:50 am

Matt,

I will pass along a link to this page to Tom McCluskie. I do know that this is a very busy week for him, so no guarantee that he will be able to respond quickly.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Tom McCluskie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 am

The General Arrangement (deck plans) together with the Rigging Profile (side view) are available from the Harland and Wolff drawing archive held by the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum, Cultra Manor, Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland. Their web site is : www.nmni.com/uftm however I must warn you they are extremely slow in responding to enquiries for drawings/information so considerable patience and fortitude will be necessary. Be sure in your request you indicate you require drawings for ship number 433 as there are a number of Britannic's in the collection. The collection also has all the major construction drawings such as the Midship Section, Framing Profile and Shell Expansion however I am aware a charge is made for providing copies of these drawings. Good luck in your request.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Matthew Smith on Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:46 am

hello,

thank you very much...

i tried to send them a email though the web page but it failed...i found a email for a person in photo archives to see if they can forward my email to the correct area...i will see if i get a reply...i wonder if they do paper or scanning copies?this week here in Australia we have a lot of titanic docos on tv.

if i do hear back i will let you know.

regards matt
Matthew Smith

Postby Simon Mills on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:20 am

Matthew,

I can confirm that the GA plans and line drawings for 433 do still exist, but I have to warn you that so far as I am aware most of the old Harland and Wolff technical drawings remain warehoused and uncatalogued. This being the case, obtaining copies from the UFTM could be very difficult. The drawings are also very large and probably quite expensive.

Good luck!

S.
Simon Mills

Next

Return to Britannic