Britannic Launch Centenary

Britannic Launch Centenary

Postby Simon Mills on Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 am

It's been a while since I logged on to the message board, but it would seem inappropriate not to post something today of all days to mark the Centenary of the Britannic's launch.

I believe that there will be some form of commemoration on the old Harland & Wolff slipway no. 2 at Belfast at 11.15 a.m. today, the exact time that the Britannic was launched. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it but even so I wish the organisers well and am pleased that in some small way Belfast will be acknowledging the Centenary.

Regards to all,

SM.
Simon Mills

Re: Britannic Launch Centenary

Postby Tom McCluskie on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:15 am

I hope you are correct Simon and a commemoration is being held, unfortunately nothing has been published in the local press or TV to advertise or even comment on the event. I did check with several sources who tell me H&W are not involved officially or otherwise which is a pity. :roll:
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Simon Mills on Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Tom,

I believe that it is being organised by the Belfast Titanic Society. I was invited to the event, and also to the Nomadic tonight, but the problems in Windsor following the recent flooding have put me behind in so many things that finding the time to fly over to Belfast just wasn't feasible. Mind you, I hear that there was an item on the event on this morning's BBC Newsline, but unfortunately they used footage of the wrong Britannic! Ooops...

Still, at least The History Press are marking the occasion by posting a couple of items on their blog. I understand that the first reviews for the new book are beginning to come in now so I'm going to be understandably preoccupied for the next few days. FYI, here are their two links:

http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/index.php/updates/the-future-of-the-britannic/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/index.php/updates/qa-simon-mills/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

S.
Simon Mills

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 pm

"Organised by the Belfast Titanic Society"..... enough said :roll:

Hearty congratulation on the new book, an excellent read and also doing rather well in sales, well done !!
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Simon Mills on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi Tom,

Actually I have no idea how the book is doing as I haven't asked History Press for any figures yet; it's usually better to leave it for a few months until things have settled down, as it all makes a lot more sense then.

According to Amazon the book is currently ranked 22 in their maritime section, and at 67,380 in their general books section, which means that there are 67,379 doing better. Mind you, that's a lot better than it looked in early January, when I believe it was ranked at about 1,500,000...

S.
Simon Mills

Return to Construction