Titanic SOS telegram

Titanic SOS telegram

Postby Leslie McIntosh on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi I have an SOS telegram that was sent from the titanic saying where they were and that they were sinking. I have found it online and looks exactlay like the one i have. Does anyone know where i can find out if its real?
Leslie McIntosh

Re: Titanic SOS telegram

Postby Robert Gibbons on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 am

If your telegram and the one in the book are exactly alike, then one probably is a fake. If you have a scan of your telegram, you might attach it to a message to Tim Trower on Facebook. He is an expert in paper items from the Titanic, since he is a printer. Good luck! Robert H. Gibbons
Robert Gibbons

Postby Leslie McIntosh on Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi how would I find him on facebook there is a bunch of tim trowers on facebook thank you
Leslie
Leslie McIntosh

Postby Timothy Trower on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Or you could just send a scan of this telegram to me at timtrower @ titanichistoricalsociety.net
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 am

Leslie,

Thank you for sending me a copy of the piece in question. I'm afraid that what you have is not a real telegram, but rather a copy from a 1997 collection of items from the archives of the Public Record Office in London, as printed by Random House. It is part of a much larger collection of items, documents and records that were produced to look similar to the originals -- your telegram copy originally had a black circle with a number 6 in white in the upper right-hand corner, but it looks as it it had been clipped off.

Do a future researcher or collector a favor and write with indelible ink on the back of the piece the word "copy" -- it will save someone the same trouble that it may have caused you.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Return to Artifacts and Exhibitions