RMS Britannic

Re: RMS Britannic

Postby Timothy Trower on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Basically, the Britannic sank because she had a hole the size of a barn door blown in the side of her, open water tight doors, and open portholes -- and, because she was being driven through the water, forcing more in quicker. The Titanic took far longer to sink because she had damage equal to a hole 3' x 4' -- 12 square feet total, or about half of the size of an average door.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Michael H Standart on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:08 pm

I helps to know that on Titanic, they at least had the sense to use the watertight doors! ;)
Michael H Standart

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:49 pm

I see. Well, at least she wasn't scrapped. I'm always going to have issues with that, & I'm not the kind of person that let things go easily.
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I dunno . . . those who died because of the sinking would probably take issue with you on this point.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Well, I'm sorry, but I feel that scrapping a Ocean Liner destroys the history. And with me, I feel like those scrap merchants took a part of me, I also feel that they took apart someone I love very much, piece by piece. Why can't those people leave the Ocean Liners alone? If they want to scrap a ship, than they can go scrap a warship, because I really don't care much about battleships. They're grey, dull & boring.
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:08 am

Am I to understand that the ship Britannic being intact on the bottom of the sea is more important than the lives of the roughly thirty people who died in the sinking of the ship???
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 am

Timothy Trower wrote:Am I to understand that the ship Britannic being intact on the bottom of the sea is more important than the lives of the roughly thirty people who died in the sinking of the ship???

Err....Just to be pedantic, Britannic isn't intact....there is a ruddy great hole in her near the bow... :lol:
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Tom McCluskie on Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:58 am

Tyler J Frederick wrote:Well, I'm sorry, but I feel that scrapping a Ocean Liner destroys the history. And with me, I feel like those scrap merchants took a part of me, I also feel that they took apart someone I love very much, piece by piece. Why can't those people leave the Ocean Liners alone? If they want to scrap a ship, than they can go scrap a warship, because I really don't care much about battleships. They're grey, dull & boring.
Tyler Joshua Frederick

Earth to planet Tyler.... Are you absolutely sure you honestly mean what you are saying or are you just throwing words together to have something to pass the time?.. :? I am sorry to disillusion you but ocean liners, despite your protestations to the contrary are NOT living entities but are machines designed and built by man to perform a service. At the end of their useful life they are recycled into other machines, which is both logical and practical otherwise the world would be littered with abandoned and inevitably decaying vessels. You state you do not care about battleships, how then do you reconcile those feelings with someone who professes to same adoration for them as you do for cruise liners?..Are they mistaken in their belief and only you are correct. If you "love" a ship you profess to bestow upon it an emotion that it is impossible to reciprocate from an inanimate object. Ships of whatever type are the products of man kinds technology and ingenuity and despite any romantic notion you may imagine to the contrary they do not have souls or a life of their own.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:38 pm

I have read, & reread the blogs.
No, Tim. I don't not put the value of a ship, more than the value of the people who died anywhere in the world, even though it sounds like I am. I'm not that cold-hearted. I just don't understand why Ocean Liners have to get scrapped in the first place. I know we talk about it, but scrapping a Ocean Liner still hurts. My heart hurts at that, Tim. Now, the people that I don't care about are those who scrap a Ocean Liner. They don't about the history of the Liners, so why should I care for them? I love to see the memories, & History of the Great Ocean Liners. Isn't that what we exist for?
And I meant what I said about I would never be happen again, if something happen to the Queen Elizabeth 2.
Now, I do have other interest. I play video games & watch American Classic, & Japanese Anime. I have a fiancee that I will marry in 2 to 3 years. And I am looking forward to Christmas. That's all the intrest I have not relating to ship. This my blog to you, Tim. now, I must answer Tom's. Sayonara-nada.
Tyler Joshua Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Excuse me, Tim. I meant do not, just so I'm clear.
Tyler
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Tyler J Frederick on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:05 pm

Koniichiwa, Tom.
Yes, I can honestly say that I mean what I had been saying the whole time, & not throwing words to pass time. I'm not stupid, & definately not a (Excuse my chioce of word) retard. I only like 3, no 4 warships, Midway, Ronald Regan, Indianapolis ( Only because I live near Indianapolis), & Bismarck. I maybe in my own world, but I'm secure in it. Not only that, Tom, but sailors have profound love for the ships they work with, I must behave like a sailor, for I plan to live at sea. I don't have any regrets. when I go to sea, I don't have to care about the rest of the world. The world can revolve without me. And I really mean that. Go ahead, & say I've gone off the deep end. I just want all Ocean Liners to be preserve, like the Queen Mary. I don't care about money. I already told Tim, that if something happen to the Queen Elizabeth 2, I will never be happy again. You know, I chose to go down this path I'm on, because France Norway got scrap. Go ahead, & say that I need help. But it's too late, nobody can help me, not even my own mother. :twisted: I understand ships can't love me back, Tom, but that doesn't mean I love them any less. If ships are cold, then, I'm cold too. I'm sorry, but I've been this way for years. Everything I've just said is completely honest. This is as honest as I will get. Sayonara.
Tyler J Frederick
Tyler J Frederick

Postby Timothy Trower on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:09 pm

And I would suggest that this thread either die a natural death or be recycled into something worthwhile -- before it gets torpedoed or strikes an iceberg.
All the best,

Tim

Timothy Trower

Previous

Return to Everything Else