George Thompson - Hawkaway

George Thompson - Hawkaway

Postby Elspeth Janet Logue on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 am

Hi everyone,

I am trying to research a George Thompson, shipbuilder (Hawkaway, I believe was one of his ships which I think is the key to establising who my George Thompson was). I seems he sold his company to the White Star Line and he as married to a Mary Ann (nee?) from Boston. The information I have is very sketchy I am afraid ....... Any help you can give me in tracing him would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Elspeth Janet Logue

Re: George Thompson - Hawkaway

Postby Timothy Trower on Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Elspeth,

I would ask one question to help trace your ancestor -- was the company he was involved with a sailing ship concern or a steamship company? Traces of the old White Star Line -- that is, the Wilson and Pilkington sailing ship company -- are difficult to track down.
All the best,

Tim

THSMB Admin -- timtrower@NOSPAMtitanichistoricalsociety.net (just remove the NOSPAM before sending an email).
Timothy Trower

Re: George Thompson - Hawkaway

Postby Tom McCluskie on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 pm

I am not aware of a George Thompson owning or operating a shipbuilding concern in Belfast or indeed Northern Ireland for that matter. I can confirm however that Harland and Wolff built a number of vessels for George Thompson & Company shipowner however the "Hawkaway" was not among them. As Timothy has previously pointed out Thompson sold his interest in his company to White Star. All the vessels constructed for Thompson were motor ships of which some were owned jointly by White Star and Shaw Saville Line, a rather unusual arrangement to say the least.
It was like that when I got here
Tom McCluskie

Return to Harland and Wolff, Shipbuilders